John Marrs is an author and former journalist based in London and Northamptonshire. After spending his career interviewing celebrities from the worlds of television, film and music for numerous national newspapers and magazines, he is now a full-time author. His books include No1 bestseller and Netflix series The One, The Passengers, award winning What Lies Between Us and The Good Samaritan.
1. Tell me about your latest book and why we should read it?
It’s called Keep It In The Family and it follows a couple who discover seven suitcases in the attic of a house they are restoring. In front of each one lies a bag of neatly folded clothes. Read it if you like your books dark and intriguing.
2. If a film was being made about your life, who would you want to play you?
Ryan Gosling, Bradley Cooper or Alan Carr.
3. If I could grant you one wish, what would it be?
For our country to be run by politicians who care as much for the poverty stricken as they do for the rich.
4. When was the last time you Googled yourself and what did you find?
I have Google alerts and when they appear, they’re always design tips from Texan born John Marrs, an antiques dealer.
5. If you could host a literary dinner party, which 5 authors (dead or alive) would you invite and what food would you serve?
John Boyne, John Niven, George RR Martin, Colleen Hoover and Gillian Flynn. I’d serve pasta bake because it’s about the only thing I can cook without cremating.
6. Finally, please recommend 3 books that you’ve recently read and tell me why you’ve chosen them.
Young Mungo – Douglas Stuart – a gorgeous, brutal, Romeo and Juliet style love story about two Scottish teenagers.
Lessons In Chemistry – Annie Garmus – I’ve only just started this but already I’m hooked.
Dave Eggers – The Every – This follow up to his brilliant The Circle does not disappoint.